BATON ROUGE – Today the LWC was forwarded a WARN from Bayou Steel. We remain steadfast in our commitment to provide re-employment assistance to these workers.
Although the exact time-frame for layoffs was not provided, we encourage workers to report to work as normally scheduled to receive official written notice related to their individual status.
LWC will work collaboratively with the business to quickly assist these individuals. Tomorrow our mobile unit will be deployed at the local American Job Center Office, 421 West Airline Hwy., Suite F in LaPlace, La. Additionally, we encourage employers looking for skilled, dependable employees to contact Andre France, at firstname.lastname@example.org, to participate in upcoming job fairs.
Currently, over 49,000 jobs are available via our on-line site, www.laworks.net.
The Rapid Response Team will schedule group orientation sessions to provide laid off workers with re-employment and unemployment information. The sessions will be announced once times and locations have been determined.
Rapid Response is an early intervention outplacement service offered to workers affected by major layoffs and plant closings. The goal of the program is to transition workers into reemployment as quickly as possible. Rapid Response orientation sessions are conducted to introduce workers to the re-employment, retraining and support services to which they are entitled. Workers facing layoffs are encouraged to attend scheduled sessions to ensure awareness of the full array of benefits.
• The Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) Program is a federal entitlement program that assists U.S. workers who have lost or may lose their jobs as a result of foreign trade.
o For Example:
• Production has been/is being shifted to a foreign country (China), or
• Services are being outsourced to foreign county (Mexico), or
• Increased imports of articles or services, or loss of business with a TAA-certified firm
• This program seeks to provide adversely affected workers with opportunities to obtain the skills, credentials, resources, and support necessary to become reemployed.
• The State is preparing to file a petition on-line with the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) on behalf of Bayou Steel and if Certified; affected workers will begin receiving TAA benefits and services such as:
o Employment and Case Management Services
• Skills assessments
• Individual employment plans
• Career counseling
• Supportive Services
• Information on training and labor markets, etc.
• Apprenticeship and more.
o Trade Readjustment Allowances (TRA)
o Weekly income support for workers enrolled in full-time training and have exhausted UI
o Job Search Allowance
• Reimbursement for relocation costs for re-employment outside the worker’s commuting area.
o Reemployment Trade Adjustment Assistance (RTAA)
• A Wage subsidy for workers 50 and older that covers the difference between the trade impacted wages and the worker’s new wages for up to two years or up to the maximum amount.
Resources for employers and job seekers
Job-seekers can explore careers, apply for top-rated jobs, and connect with local training providers using Louisiana Star Jobs, the LWC’s free career tool, at http://www.laworks.net/Stars/. Employers looking for workers should visit Louisiana’s employment homepage at www.laworks.net. Click on HiRE (Helping Individuals Reach Employment) and create an account allowing access to qualified job seekers.
About the Louisiana Workforce Commission
The Louisiana Workforce Commission is an agency of state government that administers programs designed to enhance workforce growth and provide family-sustaining jobs for Louisiana residents. The commission monitors employment, administers unemployment compensation and tax funds, provides training resources for employers and employees and oversees worker compensation benefits. The agency also gathers and supplies information on the labor market and occupational sectors in Louisiana.
Note: This revision date does not reflect the revision date of the press release shown. Press Release postings are updated as needed and should be considered accurate as shown.