Date:April 30, 2010
Contact:Public Relations @ (225) 342-3035

Important Information for Unemployed Due to Oil Spill

At the present time, federally funded Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) has NOT been authorized by the federal government in connection with the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

Regular unemployment insurance (UI) benefits are available to qualified individuals who lose their jobs because of the oil spill. The best way to file a regular UI claim is through the LWC website, Those without Internet access wishing to file a claim should call 1-866-783-5567.

For people who do not qualify for regular unemployment insurance benefits, such as the self-employed, and whose jobs have been lost or interrupted by the oil spill, emergency assistance through Deepwater Horizon Response may be available. A toll-free hotline has been established by BP to discuss spill-related damage claims: 1-800-440-0858.

Note: This revision date does not reflect the revision date of the press release shown. Press Release postings are updated as needed and should be considered accurate as shown.